TEXAS TECH POSTGAME NOTES
• Today’s weather: Sunny, low 80’s.
• Texas Tech won the coin toss and elected to defer to the second half. Texas started the game with the ball.
• Today’s game was televised by ABC. It was Texas Tech’s first appearance on ABC since traveling to Iowa State in 2020.
• Today’s game marked the 71st all-time meeting between Texas Tech and Texas and 62nd consecutive season the two programs have met.
• Today’s game was the Red Raiders’ Big 12 conference opener. Texas Tech remains on the road for Big 12 play next week at West Virginia.
• Texas Tech wore black helmets, white jerseys and black pants against Texas. Since 2009, the Red Raiders are now 13-10 in the combination used today.
• Today’s game captains were DaMarcus Fields, Colin Schooler and SaRodorick Thompson.
• As part of Texas Tech’s pregame entrance, Nelson Mbanasor carried the U.S. flag, while McLane Mannix ran out with the state of Texas flag.
• Today’s attendance: 98,349.
Starters – (Offense) – (LT) T.J. Storment, (LG) Weston Wright, (C) Dawson Deaton, (RG) Josh Burger (RT) Caleb Rogers, (QB) Tyler Shough, (TE) Mason Tharp, (TE) Travis Koontz, (WR) Kaylon Geiger Sr., (WR) Myles Price, (WR) Erik Ezukanma; (Defense) – (DE) Tyree Wilson, (N) Jaylon Hutchings, (T) Devin Drew, (SAM) Colin Schooler, (MIKE) Riko Jeffers, (WILL) Brandon Bouyer-Randle, (SPUR) Reggie Pearson Jr., (CB) Rayshad Williams, (CB) DaMarcus Fields, (S) Eric Monroe. (S) Marques Waters,
TEXAS TECH’S LOSS…
• Gives Texas Tech a 3-1 overall record in 2021.
• Gives Texas Tech a 17-54 all-time record against Texas.
• Gives Texas Tech a 7-32 mark in games played in the state capital.
• Gives Matt Wells a career record of 11-15 at Texas Tech.
• Gives Matt Wells a 55-49 career record all-time as a head coach.
• Gives Matt Wells a 0-3 career record all-time against Texas.
TEXAS TECH’S TEAM NOTES
• 70 points is a new all-time high scored by Texas against Texas Tech in the 71 all-time games played between the two programs, dating back to 1928.
• An opponent hit the 70-point mark for the first time since Oklahoma State scored 70 against Texas Tech on Oct. 21, 2015.
• Texas Tech dropped to 14-12 all-time in Big 12 openers. The Red Raiders have dropped three-straight Big 12 openers after falling at No. 6 Oklahoma in 2019, and at home against No. 8 Texas in overtime a year ago.
• There’s been a pick-6 in every game Texas Tech has played in 2021 – in alternating fashion. Texas Tech doing so in games versus Houston and FIU, and its opponent in games against SFA and Texas.
• Dadrion Taylor-Demerson recorded the Red Raiders’ sixth interception of the 2021 season. Six INTs exceeds Tech total of five collected throughout the entirety of the 10-game 2020 season.
• Tech trailed 14-0 after the first quarter and Texas led total yardage 165 to 95. At the half, Texas held a 42-14 lead and a 354 total yard to 200 total yards advantage. It was the most points allowed in a first half since Oklahoma led Tech 48-7 at the break on Oct. 21, 2020.
• Tech surrendered a touchdown on the opening drive for the first time since the season opener against Houston.
NOTING THE RED RAIDERS
• Tyler Shough rushed for his second touchdown of the season, and third of his FBS career dating back to his Oregon playing days.
• Shough threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown early in the second quarter and did not return to the game due to injury. Henry Colombi entered the game with 9:49 left in the second quarter. Shough finished the game 9-of-11 for 68 yards.
• Colombi notched a single-game career-high three touchdown passes. His previous high was two, accomplished on four different occasions with the last time against TCU in 2020.
• Colombi matched a career-long 75-yard pass, which was a 75 yarder to Kaylon Geiger. Colombi tossed a 75-yard TD to Travis Koontz versus Oklahoma in 2020.
• Geiger’s 75-yard touchdown reception set a career-long mark.
• Geiger topped 100 yards for the second-straight game. It’s his second at Texas Tech and 11th of his FBS career.
• Loic Fouonji registered a touchdown reception for the first time this season, and for the second time of his career on a career-long 69-yard touchdown pass from Colombi.
• Colombi connected with Myles Price for a 40-yard TD. It was Price’s second career touchdown reception, his first was also a reception via Colombi on a 13-yard strike against Kansas State on Oct. 3, 2020.
• Dadrion Taylor-Demerson logged his first career interception, snagged in the end zone early in the third quarter.
• Colin Schooler eclipsed 400 tackles for his career, having entered the game needing just five to reach that mark. He led the team on Saturday with nine tackles. Schooler joins just three other Red Raiders who have recorded 400-plus career tackles at the FBS level as Schooler joins the likes of Lawrence Flugence (1999-02), Brad Hastings (1983-86) and Kevin Curtis (1998-01). Schooler began his collegiate career at Arizona (2017-19).
• Henry Teeter collected his first career reception.
• Tyree Wilson logged his third career sack and second of the season. He is one of two Red Raiders’ with multiple sacks in 2021 joining Jaylon Hutchings.
• Donovan Smith rushed for his first career touchdown, a 1-yard score.